Monday, October 5, 2020

Giga Comic

 

Giga is a new series from Vault Comics. The author,  Alex Paknadel,, reached out to us and agreed to answer some questions  about the series. You may recognice him from his work on Boom Comics' Arcadia and Marvel Comics' Lords of Empyre

Today I am excited to share the first issue of GIGA, my new giant robot murder mystery series from Vault Comics. Folks like James Tynion, IV, Scott Snyder, Kieron Gillen, Dennis "Hopeless" Hallum, Jamie McKelvie and others are already calling GIGA one of the very best books of the year. Accordingly, I really hope you'll give it a read and consider preordering #1 in good numbers before its FOC this Monday, October 5.

1. Anything more you want to say about the plot aside from the blurbs

 

I don't want to give too much away here, but I think what's caught people's attention about this book is that it isn't the usual giant robot smackdown. I love that material and there's some of that in the book, but in the main this is a book that depicts what happens AFTER the city-leveling smackdown - centuries after, in fact. The robots that laid waste to our towns and cities came to rest and apparently never woke up, so before long we humans did what we always do and made the best of a crappy situation; we moved in and made our destroyers our homes and our gods in one. A new religion sprang up to account for the change, led by a team of engineer-priests who also govern the city and enforce its laws. It's a sprawling, textured world with its own rules we've created here, and I hope people will enjoy visiting it.

2. Fans of what type of books will like Giga

Giga's a genre mashup at its core, so I'd say if you're into anything from Neon Genesis Evangelion to Brubaker and Phillips' Criminal via Urusawa's Pluto then you're going to enjoy this. If you're a fan of meticulous worldbuilding and mythology then this will also hit all of those buttons. We've striven to present a plausible world with real stakes here, so in general I'd just say if you're a fan of good stories then our book is for you.

3. How many issues is the series?

The first arc is 5 issues and it constitutes a complete story, but if sales warrant it then I have many, many more tales to tell with these characters in this world.

4. Readers will know the artist from what other books?

John is a new talent with a few anthologies under his belt, but this is his first long form work. I couldn't be more excited to be working with him as he takes his first steps in what I predict will be a long and storied career. When I was planning the book I decided that I wanted the art to be very warm and textured, which is the often the last thing you'd expect to see in this genre. John can handle the spectacle readers rightly demand, but there's a punky, cartoonish quality to his character work that makes the book feel way more indie than it is.

5. What else would you like to say to someone who is intrigued by Giga but hasn't quite decided?

 

I'd say please just give us a shot. GIGA won't be for everybody because nothing is, but the team's passion and commitment to the project is evident on the page. I've been working with this publisher and this team on this for well over a year now, and I can honestly tell you it's a labor of love for every single one of us. For that reason, I'm very confident that if most readers pick up our first issue they'll see how different our approach is and be curious to see more.


No comments:

Post a Comment